About Me

My photo
Today I watched my cat give herself a bath in my bathroom sink and when she noticed me watching her, she fell off the counter, but then continued to wash herself on the floor. Yesterday in the park, I saw a two-year-old boy fall and scrape his hands. He picked himself up, examined his palms, kissed them each to make them better, and then ran off to catch up with his mom. I love self-sufficient creatures.

Monday, November 03, 2008

Okay, so I lied...

...but not intentionally. I really did mean to post yesterday, but I have been having trouble with my domestic internet connection (we're entering couples counseling next week...) and so the only access I have to this crazy alternate universe, not having a laptop, is my work computer. So, here I am, on my first day off in a month, relaxing, blogging, and not thinking about work...at work.

The irony is indeed not lost on me.

(does anyone else think I use ellipses way too much? Maybe I'll switch my preferences over to ampersands...oops, I mean: &&&)

So. This past weekend. Yup.

Did I tell you my mother and Mike eloped in Vegas on Halloween? When your screams at the monitor have subsided, I have to tell you, these are words I NEVER expected to string together in one sentence. Have you finished screaming yet?

Basically, my mom and Mike have been trying to get married for the past year. I mean, really, truly trying. Due to circumstances beyond their control (much like the subjection of our eye-glazed attention to the media circus following the passing of Anna Nicole Smith; Nothing could control that tidal wave of inanity), Mom and Mike basically seized the first chance they had to become legally joined. It just so happened that the first chance available was on Halloween 2008, at the blessed, sacred grounds of the Chapel of the Bells in Las Vegas, Nevada.



Photobucket



If you had asked me as early as six months ago if I thought my proper, Kennedy-loving, Miss Manners-quoting, Martha Stewart-emulating mother would voluntarily exchange vows with a retired-Military, Family-Man-in-all-senses-of-the-word, upstanding Conservative in VEGAS at MIDNIGHT standing behind a couple dressed as Frankenstein and (you know what's coming next, don't you?) the Bride-of-Frankenstein, I would have snorted and responded with some snotty comment about swine with wings.

I'm pretty sure Evelyn, my card-playing, pony-handicapping, foul-mouthed, Jersey-ite grandmother is busting a gut in Heaven just about now. Wait'll she hears that the friends-and-family-wedding-celebration is taking place at one of the local casinos in January. The Heavens will just open up and spew forth celestial laughter like a slot-machine.

God bless you, my new and wonderful family. Mazel tov and shalom. I love you all.

xoxo,
D




No comments: